With the purpose of enhancing capability building leading to quality research, innovation and highly trained manpower. Some of these exercises include the following:
- Focus on basic and technological knowledge to undertake development activities in the upcoming and technologically relevant areas like photovoltaic, energy conversion, sensors, passive components such as resistor, capacitors, etc.
- Developing groups with strong experimentation culture and research base for continued advanced level research in these strategic areas.
- Commissioning of critical equipments for the fabrication and analysis in the niche areas of materials and components that can serve as the basis for conducting further research in design and development of electronics devices.
- A capability of processing technology for recycle and reuse of electronic wastes has been generated.
A capability has been created in basic and technological knowledge to undertake focused research and development activity in the area of
- Development of lead free X-ray absorbing coating materials for various applications in medical
- P- type ZnO thin films has been generated for advanced application like electronic paper and spintronix applications
- Magnetic materials for high-permeability GHz-frequency inductors.
- Tunnel Magneto Resistance materials and systems for very high density data storage technology and Spintronic devices
- Nano NTC material and to develop chip-in-glass fast response thermal sensors
- Oxide films and nanostructures for advanced sensors & energy systems
- National Centre for Packaging of Photonic Devices at SAMEER, Mumbai
- Facility for Epoxy based optical fibre alignment and attachment is made available and used by CEERI, BITS, IIT Bombay, IRDE, NeST et al.
- Construction and Multi-site commissioning of Multiple Fluorescence Correlation Spectrometers FCS undertaken at TIFR, Mumbai. Through this project several groups in the country trained in Biophotonics Instrument fabrication. Eleven FCS Systems developed and fabricated and now operational at 11 centres in the country.
- Photonics Research Fellowship at various levels is undertaken all over the country. The effort is to develop a resource base of personnel trained to carry out advanced research in Photonics through pairing of fellowship applicants with their potential mentors in research labs in leading institutions, being successfully implemented.
- Ultraviolet Light Emitting Diodes grown by Molecular Beam Epitaxy for Solid State Lighting.
- Hybrid Solar Cells based on Organic Polymers and Inorganic Nano particles.
- RoHS Testing and certification facility with NABL accreditation for Hazardous substances.