The Capacity Building Scheme, with an outlay of Rs 313 Crores, was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) on 10th January 2008. The scheme envisions:
- Establishment of Institutional Framework for State Level Strategic decision- making including setting-up of State e-Governance Mission Team (SeMT).
- Imparting of specialized training, Orientation program for SeMTs and decision makers.
- Setting up of a central Capacity Building Management Cell for coordination and implementation of the scheme.
Need for Capacity Building - Keeping in view the enormous task of driving NeGP in line with the overall spirit of service orientation most states are inadequately equipped in terms of personnel and the skill-sets needed to handle the host of issues involved. For NeGP to achieve its goals, this is the first gap that needs to be addressed and needed to handle the challenges that are likely to be faced in implementing vision and objectives of NeGP. These include:
- Aligning project design to NeGP service orientation
- Bringing standardization and consistency across initiatives and at the same time, have the resources and flexibility to drive this plan
- Change Management
- Government Process Reengineering
- Optimizing cost and resource utilization
- Leveraging external resources
- Implementing best practices followed elsewhere
- Project and Program Monitoring