- About MeitY
- Vision & Mission
- Organization Chart
- Functions of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
- Who's Who
- Official Language Activities
- Citizens' Charter
- Vigilance & Grievances
- Performance Management
- Integrated Finances
- Acts & Policies
- Controller of Accounts
- Immovable Property Return
- Web Information Manager
- Know Your Ministers
- Visitor Pass
Chemical Handling & Disposal
Sat, 01/16/2010 - 17:22 — admin
- Always remember the three 'A's of acid handling - Always Add Acid to water or base. slowly.
- Always treat any liquid in chemical area as acid because few acids like HF may look and feel like water.
- All spills and leakage should be cleaned up immediately.
- afety equipments such as fire extinguishers, Eye wash basin and safety showers shall be kept clean and readily accessible.
- Do not mix acids with solvents or flammables. A violent reaction may occur pour solvents down the sink.
- Do not drains.
- Do not dip your hand into a chemical even when wearing gloves.
- Do not inter-change the bottle caps. Put the same cap back on the bottle making sure that it is tight.
- Do remember the following :
-Acid handling requires the use of latex gloves
-Solvent and chemicals in miscellaneous category require the use of polythene gloves
-Check the gloves for any pin-holes prior to use
-Wash your hands before eating, even if gloves were used while handling the chemical
- Required safety equipments like plastic sleeves, aprons, rubbers, boots, safety glasses, fume hoods, fume shields etc. shall be used even while handling small quantities or hazardous chemicals.
- Demarcate separate areas for storing acids, base, solvents, wet chemicals, dry chemicals etc.
- Working alone shall be avoided when handling dangerous chemicals.
- Before draining any chemical in the central drain, ensure the compatibility of the chemical with the material of which the drain is made of and other chemicals normally flowing through that drain.
- Always rinse empty bottles of chemicals before disposing them of in the well-designated areas.
- Do not srore chemicals near heat source.
- Do not store chemical containers(empty or full) at a height more than three feet above floor level.
- Do not store acids and solvents together.
- Do not wait to see whether the chemical you spill over you gives burn or not. Rinse the affected areas for 15-20 minutes and then report to a doctor. Also alert others so that they can help you in rinsing the chemical off you and in cleaning up the spill.
- Do not take hazardous chemicals if you are under teh influence of Alcohol/drug etc.or are feeling sleepy.
- Don't come in direct contact with hazardous chemicals while in use/working.