High Performance Computing most generally refers to the practice of aggregating computing power in a way that delivers much higher performance than one could get out of a typical desktop computer or workstation in order to solve large problems in science, engineering, or business. It has emerged as the Fourth Paradigm for cutting edge S&T research, and accordingly special thrust has been given for capacity and capability building in HPC in the 12th Five Year Plan (2012-17). In pursuance of this objective, the “National Supercomputing Mission (NSM): Building Capacity & Capability”, has been initiated by Government of India.
National Supercomputing Mission
The National Supercomputing Mission (NSM) has been initiated for a period of 7 years and the mission would be implemented jointly by Department of Electronics and Information Technology (DeitY) and Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India. The main objectives of the mission are:
- Make India a world leader in HPC and to enhance the national capability in solving grand challenge problems of national and global relevance
- Empower scientists & researchers with state-of-the-art compute facilities for their cutting-edge research in respective Domains
- Reduce redundancies and avoid duplication of efforts and investments
- Create an ecosystem for positioning India as a major power for supercomputing and attain global competitiveness and self-reliance in HPC
The thrust areas of the division are:
- Promoting HPC to enhance the national capability in solving grand challenge problems of national and global relevance.
- Promoting Research & Development and Human Resource Development in the area of HPC.
For Further Information:
Shri S.A. Kumar
Scientist 'F' & HOD
High Performance Computing Division
Phone No :+91-11- 24361186
E-mail : skumar[at]deity[dot]gov[dot]in