Functions of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
The Allocation of Business Rules Pertaining to Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
(As published in Part I, Section 3, Sub—Section (ii) of the Gazette of India)1
- Policy matters relating to information technology; Electronics; and Internet (all matters other than licensing of Internet Service Provider).
- Promotion of internet, IT and IT enabled services.
- Assistance to other departments in the promotion of E-Governance, E- Commerce, E- Medicine, E- Infrastructure, etc.
- Promotion of Information Technology education and Information Technology-based education.
- Matters relating to Cyber Laws, administration of the Information Technology Act. 2000 (21 of 2000) and other IT related laws.
- Matters relating to promotion and manufacturing of Semiconductor Devices in the country excluding all matters relating to Semiconductor Complex Limited (SCL), Mohali; The Semiconductor Integrated Circuits layout Design Act, 2000 (37 of 2000).2
- Interaction in IT related matters with international agencies and bodies e. g. Internet for Business Limited (IFB), Institute for Education in Information Society (IBI) and International Code Council – on line (ICC).
- Initiative on bridging the Digital Divide: Matters relating to Media Lab Asia.
- Promotion of Standardization, Testing and Quality in IT and standardization of procedure for IT application and Tasks.
- Electronics Export and Computer Software Promotion Council (ESC).
- National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- Initiatives for development of Hardware/Software industry including knowledge–based enterprises, measures for promoting IT exports and competitiveness of the industry.
- All matters relating to personnel under the control of the Department.3
- Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).4
- Modified vide Amendment series no.300 dated 26.02.2012
- Inserted vide Amendment series no.279 dated 01.03.2005
- Modified vide Amendment series no.281 dated 01.09.2005
- Inserted vide Amendment series no.318 dated 12.09.2015 (Earlier inserted under Planning Commission vide Amendment Series no.296 dated 22.02.2010, and in NITI Aayog vide series no.312)