Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) is responsible for formulation, implementation and review of national policies in the field of information technology, electronics, internet (all matters other than licensing of Internet Service Provider), UIDAI and associated services & applications.
The Vision of the Ministry is e-Development of India as the engine for the transition onto a developed nation and an empowered society.
The Mission is to promote e-Governance for empowering citizens, promoting the inclusive and sustainable growth of the Electronics and IT & ITeS industries, enhancing India’s role in global platforms of internet governance, adopting a multipronged approach that includes development of human resources, promoting R&D and innovation, enhancing efficiency through digital services and ensuring a secure cyberspace.
- e-Government - Providing e-infrastructure for delivery of e-services,
- e-Industry - Promotion of electronics hardware manufacturing and IT-ITeS industry,
- e-Innovation / R&D - Implementation of R&D Framework - Enabling creation of innovation/ R&D Infrastructure in emerging areas of ICT&E/Establishment of mechanism for R&D translation,
- e- Learning - Providing support for development of e-Skills and knowledge network,
- e-Security - Securing India’s cyber space,
- e-Inclusion - Promoting the use of ICT for more inclusive growth,
- Internet Governance - Enhancing India’s role in global platforms of internet governance.
1Inserted vide Amendment series no.327 dated 16.07.2016. Earlier (as Department) modified vide Amendment series no.300 dated 26.02.2012.
Functions/Activities (allocation of Business Rules)
1. Policy matters relating to Information Technology; Electronics; and Internet (all matters other than licensing of Internet Service Provider).
2. Promotion of internet, IT and IT enabled services.
2A. Promotion of Digital Transactions including Digital Payments2.
3. Assistance to other departments in the promotion of E-Governance, E- Commerce, E- Medicine, E- Infrastructure, etc.
4. Promotion of Information Technology education and Information Technology-based education.
5. Matters relating to Cyber Laws, administration of the Information Technology Act, 2000 (21 of 2000) and other IT related laws.
6. Matters relating to promotion and manufacturing of Semiconductor Devices in the country excluding all matters relating to Semiconductor Complex Limited (SCL), Mohali3.
7. Interaction in IT related matters with international agencies and bodies e.g. Internet for Business Limited (IFB), Institute for Education in Information Society (IBI) and International Code Council – on line (ICC).
8. Initiative on bridging the Digital Divide: Matters relating to Digital India Corporation (DIC)4
9. Promotion of Standardization, Testing and Quality in IT and standardization of procedure for IT application and Tasks.
10. Electronics Export and Computer Software Promotion Council (ESC).
11. National Informatics Centre (NIC).
12. Initiatives for development of Hardware/Software industry including knowledge–based enterprises, measures for promoting IT exports and competitiveness of the industry.
13. All matters relating to personnel under the control of the Ministry5.
14. Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)6.
2 Inserted vide Amendment series no. 332 dated 13.02.2017.
3 Inserted vide Amendment series no.279 dated 01.03.2005 and further modified vide no.322 dated 17.03.2016.
4 Modified vide Amendment series no. 345 dated 17.10.2018.
5 Modified vide Amendment series no. 281 dated 01.09.2005, Further modified vide amendment series no. 327 dated 16.07.2016.
6 Inserted vide Amendment series no.318 dated 12.09.2015 (Earlier inserted under Planning Commission vide Amendment Series no. 296 dated 22.02.2010 and in NITI Aayog vide series no. 312).
Main Services / Transactions448.16 KB
Service Standards161.29 KB
Grievance Redress Mechanism
|Name of the Public Grievance Officer||Helpline|
|Mrs. Simmi Chaudhary, Economic Adviser, MeitY, Director of Grievances||+91-11-24361951||s[dot]chaudhary[at]meity[dot]gov[dot]in|
Complainants can meet the Director of Grievances on every Wednesday between 10:00 am – 1:00 pm.
Expectations from Complainants
- Submission of complete precise and factual grievances on PG Portal
- Provide identification preferably by giving their telephone no. / email ID for follow up
- Avoid anonymous grievances and submission of Grievance through e-mail.
For Grievance Redressal Process and Timeline please refer https://pgportal.gov.in/
Stakeholders / Clients
|S.NO.||Stakeholders/ Clients Description|
|1||NIC, STQC Directorate & UIDAI – Attached Offices of MeitY|
|2||Organizations of MeitY (Attached Offices and Subordinate Organizations: Societies / Autonomous Bodies, Statutory Organizations, Other Organizations of MeitY)|
|3||Ministries / Departments of Government of India|
|4||State Governments/Union Territories, PSUs|
|5||Concerned Universities / Academic Institutions, R&D Institutions / Labs|
|6||Industry / Industry Associations relating to Electronics & IT-ITeS|
|7||Citizens of India.|
Indicative expectations from Service Recipients
|SL. No.||Indicative Expectations from Service recipients|
|1||Submission of complete valid Detailed Project Report (DPR) / proposals / requests+|
|2||Timely submission of Utilization Certificates in prescribed format (latest – as applicable)|
|3||Submission of Electronic copy of project document for Mission Mode Projects|
|4||Submission of complete R&D grant proposals in prescribed format including revised proposals|
|5||Submission of applications complete in all respects|
|6||Timely response to deficiencies pointed out in application forms|
|7||Submission of complete Security Incident Reporting form|
|Implementation of the Projects by all the concerned Clients [Participating Institutions (PIs) / Stake-Holders etc.] as per the norms & as applicable.|
|9||Furnishing of the Reports : Physical / Financial / Outcome / Impact-analysis vis-à-vis the Targets|
Note (+): Templates of proposals & DPR available on: www.meity.gov.in
Month and year for next review of the Charter: June 2020.