With the purpose of enhancing capability building leading to quality research, innovation and highly trained manpower. Some of these exercises include the following:
- Focus on basic and technological knowledge to undertake development activities in the upcoming and technologically relevant areas like energy storage, flexible electronics, sensors, PCB materials, passive components etc.
- Developing groups with strong experimentation culture and research base for continued advanced level research in these strategic areas.
- Commissioning of critical equipments for the fabrication and analysis in the niche areas of materials and components that can serve as the basis for conducting further research in design and development of electronics devices.
- A capability of processing technology for recycle and reuse of electronic wastes has been generated.
A capability has been created in basic and technological knowledge to undertake focused research and development activity supporting electronics manufacturing in India;
RoHS Testing and Certification Centre
A state of the art analytical facility with NABL accreditation has been set up at C-MET Hyderabad for testing of the hazardous substance present in the electronics products. This would facilitate electronic industries for availing RoHS (Restriction of Hazardous Substances) compliance certificate after thorough testing of the samples for all the requisite limits of the substances by standard analytical procedures. This compliance is mandatory requirement for domestic manufacturers and also exporters to European Union and other developed countries. The laboratory has now become referral lab attached to Central Pollution Control Board, Ministry of Environment Forest and Climate Change, Government of India.
Facility for Recycling of Electronic Waste
- Processing technology for Recycle of Electronic Wastes has been successfully established at NML Jamshedpur. Facility includes eddy current separator, hammer mill, ion exchange column etc.
- Developed a process technology for conversion of waste plastics from e-waste to value added products at Central Institute of Plastics Engineering & Technology (CIPET), Bhubaneswar.
- A process technology for recovery of precious metals from printed circuit board (PCBs) has been developed at Centre C-MET, Hyderabad, with active participation of authorized recycler, M/s. E-parisara Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore.
MeitY has now utilized above developed technology to demonstrate the process in pilot plant at Bangalore since September 2014 with participation from State Government.
Carbone Aerogel Supercapacitor
A facility has been set up at CMET, Thrissur to carry out research and development on Carbon aerogel super-capacitor. Process technology was developed for preparing organic aerogels and carbon aerogels of batch size of ~2.5 kg/batch. Process for conversion of carbon powder into flexible carbon aerogel tapes has been established to prepare active electrode for the aerocapacitors (aerogel supercapacitor). Process technology for fabrication of aerocapacitors of cell targeted capacitance has been established.
Lithium Ion Battery
MeitY has set up R&D facility at Centre For Materials For Electronics Technology (C-MET), Pune with the aim to provide scaled-up technology solutions for Lithium Ion battery to industry. This state of the art facility has capability to provide new materials to packaging solution for Lithium cells and efforts are on to augment the facility for fabrication of flexible battery, solid state battery and sodium ion battery for mobile phone, e-mobility and consumer electronics applications.